Kale & Shiitake Fried Rice
This comforting, vegetable-packed rice is infused with ginger. It's best made with day-old rice to absorb all the flavorings.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 3/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps sliced
- 6 cups curly kale leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups day-old cooked short-grain white rice
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from foodandwine.com
In a wok or very large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil. Add the ginger, scallions and
a pinch of salt. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring constantly, until the ginger and scallions are tender, about 2 minutes.
Add the sliced shiitakes and a generous pinch of salt and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the kale, season with salt and stir-fry until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the cooked rice and stir-fry until heated through, about 3 minutes.
Make a well in the rice and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the eggs. Cook without stirring until the eggs begin to set at the edge. Using a spatula, scramble the eggs until just set. Stir the eggs into the rice along with the vinegar and oyster sauce and season with salt. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Penne Arrabbiata for Two 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Red Snapper Veracruz... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- One Pot Garlic Parmesan Pasta 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Turkey Sausage with Fennel... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Honey Sesame... 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Spinach with Chickpeas and Fried... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Curry-Spiced Bloody Marys 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Black-Eyed Peas and Greens with... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)