Roasted Cauliflower and Cabbage Pasta with Fried Capers and Cheddar
Cabbage is a seriously underutilized pasta partner. Sautéed in butter and tossed with noodles and copious amounts of lemon and cheese is one of the best ways to enjoy the vegetable. Especially if you can find a Savoy.
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower, trimmed, cored, and cut into small-sized florets
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium head Savoy cabbage (about 1 lb.), cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large shallot, sliced
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup large capers, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 1/2 pound pasta, such as orecchiette
- 2 cups coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
Adapted from thekitchn.com
Preheat oven to 425°F with a rack in the lower third and a baking sheet on the rack.
Carefully remove the hot baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add cauliflower and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season liberally with salt and pepper and shake pan to distribute cauliflower in an even layer. Return baking sheet to oven and roast until deeply golden, shaking pan halfway through, about 30 minutes. Set aside.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Cook until lightly browned and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add cabbage, shallot, thyme sprigs, and a healthy amount of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until cabbage is wilted and deeply golden, about 15 minutes. Add white wine and cook until nearly evaporated, scraping the bottom of pan to deglaze. Turn off heat until ready to assemble pasta.
In a small skillet, heat remaining 1/3 cup olive oil until 350°F when read with a candy thermometer. Alternatively, you can test the oil by carefully dropping a caper into the skillet. If it sizzles vigorously, the oil is ready. Add capers and fry until crisp and light golden, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer capers to a paper towel-lined plate.
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water.
Add the pasta to the skillet with the cabbage and return to a medium-high heat. Add the cheese and then the pasta water, 1/4 cup at a time, until pasta becomes slightly saucey. Fold in the roasted cauliflower, chopped thyme, and parsley. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Top with fried capers and serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Yellow Lemon Rice 4.4/5 (34 Votes)
- Lemon Bars Perfected 4.4/5 (35 Votes)
- Garden Tomato soup with Cashew... 4.4/5 (36 Votes)
- Garlic Parmesan Cheese Bombs 4.4/5 (35 Votes)
- One Pot Wonder Tomato Basil Pasta... 4.6/5 (22 Votes)
- Orzo with Cherry Tomatoes, Feta... 4.7/5 (11 Votes)
- Cauliflower Rice with Parsley &... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Grilled rib-eye with stuffed... 4.7/5 (13 Votes)