Chicken Liver Pâté with Green Peppercorns
The richness of this silky pâté is balanced by tart green peppercorns. It's even better made a day ahead, making it a convenient and a less stressful Thanksgiving Day starter. This recipe goes great with crisped toast points, endive boats, and/or the crackers of your choice.
- 1 pound chicken livers, well trimmed
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- small sage leaves to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons chopped brined green peppercorns, plus 1 tablespoon brine from the jar
- rye crackers, for serving
Preparation time 500mins
Cooking time 515mins
Adapted from foodandwine.com
In a bowl, refrigerate the livers in the milk overnight.
Drain and rinse the livers; pat dry. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onion and 5 sage leaves and cook over moderate heat until deep golden, about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Scrape the mixture into a food processor.
In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Season the livers with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden, 2 minutes. Add the bourbon; cook until almost evaporated and the livers are barely pink inside, 1 minute.
Add the livers to the food processor and add the lemon juice; pulse to finely chop. With the machine on, add the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the pâté is very smooth. Stir in the green peppercorns and brine. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer the pâté to 2 bowls. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Garnish with sage and serve with rye crackers.
You'll also love
- Oreo Dirt Cake 4/5 (329 Votes)
- PORK N BEAN BREAD 4/5 (4 Votes)
- Seared Chicken & Caramelized Fennel 3.5/5 (2 Votes)
- EASY PUMPKIN MUFFINS 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Egg & Potato Salad with Green... 3/5 (4 Votes)
- Piselli Alla Romana (Roman Green... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Oven-Baked Buffalo Chicken Poppers 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Impossibly Easy Mini Blue... 4/5 (1 Votes)