Cheesy Salsa Lime Chicken
I keep frozen chicken breasts in my freezer for fast meals. As a rule, I never put frozen meat into a slow cooker. However, a pressure cooker is a game changer. The chicken breasts braised in a spicy salsa lime sauce topped with cheese and broiled until the cheese is browned and hot and bubbly. (Recipe adapted from Pressure Cooking Today Blog.)
- 1 cup mild or medium salsa
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, frozen*
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 fresh limes, juiced
- 1 cup grated low-fat Mozzarella (I used a Mexican blend of Monterey Jack and Cheddar)
- Fresh Cilantro (for garnish)
- Sliced green onion (for garnish)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from afeastfortheeyes.net
Using the browning/saute setting, add heat olive oil. Cook the onion garlic, cumin and chili powder until softened-- about 3 minutes.
Add salsa, tomato sauce, chicken, salt, pepper and lime juice to pressure cooking pot. Cover and lock lid in place.
Select High Pressure and 12 minutes cook time. When timer beeps, turn off and use a quick pressure release. Check and make sure the chicken is cooked to 165°.
Preheat the broiler and spray a small casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place the chicken in the dish.
Select sauté and cook sauce, stirring frequently until sauce is desire consistency. Spoon sauce over chicken.
NOTES: Be sure to check the temperature of the chicken. I had to cook mine for about five more minutes. The chicken breasts were large and frozen. If using thawed chicken, reduce the time by about five minutes.
Sprinkle 1 cup shredded cheese on top of the chicken and sauce, put the dish in the oven and broil until the cheese is melted and starting to brown, about five minutes, but watch it carefully.
Garnish with cilantro and sliced green onion. Extra delicious served with rice.
You'll also love
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken Tacos 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Pepper Chicken Rolls 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Healthy White Chicken Chili 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Smoked Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Mexican Bow-Tie Pasta with Chicken 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Fried Rice in an Instant Pot 4.2/5 (32 Votes)
- Mango-Pineapple Salsa 4.2/5 (22 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Thai Chicken Thighs 4.3/5 (20 Votes)