Vegetarian Wild Mushroom & Caramelized Onion Shepherd’s Pies
Shepherd's pie is the perfect way to eat your veggies. This Vegetarian Wild Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Shepherd’s Pies will be a great way to get the family to eat their vegetables.
- 3 pounds Yellow Finn or Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoon chopped chives
- 5 tablespoon olive oil, divided, plus more for greasing rings
- 2 medium yellow onions, halved and sliced, cups
- 3 medium portobello mushroom caps
- 1 1/2 pound assorted wild mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup grated Asiago cheese
- 2 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, thyme, oregano, and/or sage
Preparation time 50mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from vegetariantimes.com
To make potatoes put potatoes in pot, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
Warm cream and butter in pot; add potatoes, and mash until smooth. Stir in Parmesan and chives, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cool.
For filling heat 1 tablespoon of oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions, and cook 20 minutes, or until golden.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Set portobellos gill-side up on baking sheet, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil. Roast 25 minutes, or until tender. Cool, then slice thin.
Toss wild mushrooms with remaining 3 Tbs. oil and garlic on separate baking sheet; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Roast 20 minutes, or until tender. Cool, chop, and toss with Asiago, herbs, and onions.
Coat baking sheet and inside of 8 3-inch baking rings or 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray. Layer portobello slices on bottom of each ring. (Add any leftover portobellos to mushroom mixture.)
Use half of wild mushroom mixture to create second layer. Use one-third of Potatoes to create third layer, then add remaining mushroom mixture.
Top with remaining Potatoes, shaping each into dome. Sprinkle each pie with pinch of Parmesan. Bake 40 minutes, or until golden.
Let cool in rings 5 minutes. Use metal spatula to transfer pies (in rings) to plates. Run paring knife around inside of rings to loosen; lift off rings
You'll also love
- Broccoli Cheese Bake 4.4/5 (25 Votes)
- Loan's Cheesy Corn Puffs 4.4/5 (25 Votes)
- Brothy Chinese Noodles 4.4/5 (25 Votes)
- Caramelized Onion dip 4.4/5 (25 Votes)
- Halloween Eye of Newt 4.4/5 (25 Votes)
- Skillet French Onion Chicken 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Beef and Mushrooms... 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Guinness-Glazed Halibut 4.7/5 (6 Votes)