Pissaladières - Onion & Anchovy Tarts
Based on the classic French caramelized-onion tart with olives and anchovies, these little two-bite hors d'oeuvres pack a flavorful punch.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 2 large red onions, halved length-wise and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 10 salt-cured black olives, pitted and minced
- 2 (9" x 11") sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 8 oil-packed anchovy filets, drained, cut into 4 slivers each
- Minced chives or flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
Adapted from saveur.com
Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add thyme and onions and cook, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until very soft, 30 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, add sugar and vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until caramelized, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in olives, remove from heat, and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat oven to 400°F. Roll out puff pastry to 1⁄8" thickness. Using a 2 1⁄2-inch cookie cutter, cut out 16 circles from each sheet. Transfer pastry circles to 2 parchment paper—lined baking sheets and prick each circle all over with tines of a fork. Cover circles with a sheet of parchment and another baking sheet; bake until light golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer circles to a large serving platter, spoon about 1 teaspoon onion mixture over each, and top with a sliver of anchovy.
Garnish with chives.
You'll also love
- Stuffed Broccoli Leaves 3.9/5 (14 Votes)
- Rum-Glazed Shrimp and Mango 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Crockpot Curry Soup with Sweet... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Southern Style Coconut Cake 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Cherry & Plum Bruschetta 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Slow-Cooked Salmon, Chickpeas, and... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Salmon En Croute 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Marinated Grilled Tuna with... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)