Vegetable Barley Soup
Packed with fiber, vegetables. The cheese and basil add a punch.
Weight Watcher points are 2 per 8oz serving
- 2 tsp EVOO
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 5 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1-14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes (with spicy jalapeno)
- 1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- Salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, slivered
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add carrots, onion, zucchini and celery. Cook stirring occasionally, until onion is light golden.
Stir in garlic and cook, stirring around 2 minutes.
Add chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil over high heat. Add barley, mushrooms and fresh ground pepper and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until barley is almost tender around 45 -50 minutes. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Remove from heat and add basil.
When serving, sprinkle some grated Parmigiano Reggiano on top. (may need additional chicken broth when reheating).
You'll also love
- Melt In Your Mouth Blueberry Cake 4.2/5 (65 Votes)
- White Russian Pudding Shots 4.5/5 (38 Votes)
- Gnocchi Creamy Chicken Soup 4.7/5 (19 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Loaded Potato Soup 4.5/5 (39 Votes)
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup 4.4/5 (47 Votes)
- Beef and Barley Soup (Slow Cooker) 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- Eat Your Greens Detox Soup 4.2/5 (32 Votes)
- Healthy & Flavorful Mushroom... 4.6/5 (12 Votes)