A cross between a biscuit and a roll, these tender, moist biscuits are just the thing to fill a basket in the center of your table. Great for weekends, these biscuits are best served slathered in butter and drizzled with honey or smothered in Southern sausage gravy for a hearty breakfast.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons soft butter
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 50mins
Dissolve yeast in warm water in medium size bowl. Add sugar, egg and 3 tablespoons of butter. Stir in 2 1/2 cups or more self-rising flour. Mix thoroughly and turn out on floured board.
Knead and roll to medium thickness. Spread 1/4 cup soft butter on half of dough. Turn other half over the buttered dough. Cut with biscuit cutter or cut in squares with knife and put in greased pan. Butter tops of biscuits and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
Heat oven to 450°F. Bake until golden brown, about 20 to 30 minutes.
You'll also love
- Tamales 4.5/5 (84 Votes)
- Club Cracker Candy 3.9/5 (153 Votes)
- Hot Pretzel Bites 4.5/5 (88 Votes)
- Easy Cheese Danish, from Ina Garten 4.4/5 (90 Votes)
- Pancake Bites 4.6/5 (73 Votes)
- Marshmallow Bunny Peep-Tini 4.6/5 (67 Votes)
- Homemade Sweet Italian Sausage 4.3/5 (88 Votes)
- Vanilla Bean Scones 4.6/5 (62 Votes)