Burrito Bowl Mason Jars
Heaven is real and it's found in this Burrito Bowl Mason Jar! Makes a great lunch, the chicken breasts and quinoa provide healthy and filling protein to keep you full until dinner.
- 1 cup quinoa (I used a combination of red and white)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Juice and zest one lime, or 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee
- SWEET POTATOES:
- 1 large sweet potato, washed, with both ends cut off
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- OTHER INGREDIENTS:
- 3 cups lettuce, chopped
- 5 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 40mins
Add the quinoa, water, and salt to a medium sized pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat. When it has reached a boil, cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the quinoa is soft and fluffy.
Set the quinoa aside to cool.
When it has cooled, add the lime juice, lime zest, and 1/4 cup chopped cilantro to the rice and stir to evenly distribute the ingredients. Taste, and add more lime or cilantro as needed.
FOR THE CHICKEN:
Dry off both chicken breasts thoroughly with paper towels, and season both sides of each breast using the 2 teaspoons of salt.
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee over medium-high heat until the oil is very hot.
Add the chicken breasts to the hot skillet, and cook for about 4 minutes on each side. Both sides should have a pretty brown sear to them.
When the chicken breasts are cooked all the way through, remove them to a cutting board to cool. Once they've cooled, cut the chicken into small chunks, about 1/2 square inch each.
FOR THE SWEET POTATOES:
Cut up the sweet potato into tiny chunks, about 1/2 square inch each.
Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in your large skillet over medium heat.
When the oil is hot, add the sweet potato cubes. Sear the potatoes on all sides, stirring every 3 to 5 minutes.
When the potatoes have all browned on the outside, turn the heat down to medium-low, cover the skillet with a lid, and cook the sweet potatoes until they can be easily pierced with a fork. Set aside to cool.
TO ASSEMBLE SALADS:
When all ingredients have cooled, you can begin to assemble your burrito bowl salads. Add 1 tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt to the bottom of each pint-sized wide mouth mason jar.
Top with about 2 tablespoons of sweet potato cubes.
On top of the sweet potatoes, add 3 to 4 tablespoons of the cilantro lime quinoa.
Layer 1 to 2 tablespoons of cheese over the quinoa and follow with a layer of chicken. You can also used canned beans if you want and would add them here.
Fill the remaining space in the mason jar with lettuce, and sprinkle some additional chopped cilantro on top before screwing on the lid.
You'll also love
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (685 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (677 Votes)
- Butternut Squash, Ricotta &... 4.5/5 (493 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Crock Pot Ravioli Casserole 4.5/5 (475 Votes)
- Snickerdoodle Bread 4.5/5 (451 Votes)
- Old-Fashioned Peach Cobbler 4.5/5 (180 Votes)
- Loaded Baked Potato Dip 4.5/5 (131 Votes)