Grilled Beef Tenderloin With Red Wine And Pistachios
- 2 cups beef or veal stock
- 2 cups dry red wine (preferably Pinot Noir)
- 1/2 cup garlic cloves roasted
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup toasted pistachios chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds chopped
- 2 pounds beef tenderloin cut 8 oz steaks
- 2 tablespoons olive or corn oil
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley for garnish
Preheat the grill or broiler.
Making the Red Wine Sauce: In a large saucepan, combine the stock, red wine, 3 tablespoons of the roasted garlic, the shallots, and 1/4 cup of the chopped parsley. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until reduced to coat the back of a spoon, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve into another saucepan, then adjust the salt and pepper. Stir in the remaining parsley, then reduce heat to low.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining garlic, the pistachios, sunflower seeds, and 2 tablespoons of the Red Wine Sauce. Mix well. Rub the surface of the steaks with the oil.
Grilling the Steaks: Grill until well-seared on the surface, about 5 minutes. Turn over and cook until you reach desired doneness, about 4 minutes for medium-rare, depending on the thickness.
Brush the tops of the steaks with a small amount of Red Wine Sauce, then press the steaks, top-side down, into the pistachio mixture, coating the surface well. Position the steaks on serving plates, spoon the remaining sauce around them, garnish with parsley sprigs, and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
ECC = 14g