Veal Breast Stuffed With Spinach And Mushrooms
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup pecans coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup finely-chopped shallots
- 2 pounds mushrooms sliced (a mixture of white, shiitake, crimini, and/or portobello)
- 1 1/2 pounds baby spinach rinsed, dried
- 1 sheet matzo
- 1 tablespoon salt plus
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper divided
- 1 veal breast - (abt 7 lbs) trimmed, and slit horizontally to form pocket for stuffing
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over high heat. Add pecans; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about one minute. Add shallots; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened. Add half the mushrooms; cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over high heat. Add remaining mushrooms, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook 5 minutes. Add one-third of the spinach at a time, adding a new batch as it wilts. Drain, reserving liquid. Add mushroom mixture to bowl.
Run the matzo under warm water to soften. Crumble into bowl; mix well.
Sprinkle meat, including pocket with remaining 1 tablespoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place veal in a roasting pan. Fill cavity with about 2 cups of stuffing. Close pocket and secure with skewers. Place remaining stuffing in 9-inch baking pan, cover with foil; set aside. Put reserved cooking liquid in the roasting pan. Cover tightly with foil. Cook 2 1/2 hours until almost fork-tender.
Remove foil, increase heat to 450 degrees. Place pan of stuffing in oven. Cook veal until browned on top, and fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before slicing. If desired, reduce the cooking liquid by half, skim off fat and serve as gravy.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Carbohydrates: 15 grams
Net Carbs: 10 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Protein: 75 grams
Fat: 76.5 grams
You'll also love
- Asian Lobster Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chesapeake House Crab Cakes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Salmon-Stuffed Zucchini 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Blackened Beef Brisket 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cauliflower Custard 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Braised Red Cabbage With Fennel... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spinach Zucchini Souffle 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Seared Spiced Duck Breasts With... 0/5 (0 Votes)