Zucchini Bread (Green Street inspired)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup salad oil
- 1 cup each granulated sugar and firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 2 cups coarsely shredded unpeeled zucchini (about 3 medium-size)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons each baking soda and salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts, opt.
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
Beat eggs until frothy; add oil, sugars, molasses and maple flavoring, and continue beating until mixture is thick and foamy. Stir in shredded zucchini.
In a separate bowl, stir together flour, wheat germ, soda, salt, baking powder, and walnuts (if using) until thoroughly blended; stir gently into zucchini mixture just until blended.
Spoon the batter equally into 2 greased and flour-dusted 9 by 5-inch loaf pans. Sprinkle sesame seed evenly over top of each.
Bake in a 350° oven for 1 hour or until bread begins to pull away from sides of pans and a wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
Let cool in pans for 10 minutes; then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.