Irish Apple Crumble Cake
A moist apple cake chock full of delicious Irish cooking apples, topped with a sweet crunchy crumble. A great recipe for St. Patrick's Day!
- CRUMBLE TOPPING:
- 4 ounces butter, plus extra for greasing
- 5 ounces soft light brown sugar
- 2 large free range eggs
- 7 ounces plain flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 11 ounces peeled, cored and sliced cooking apple (Shouldn’t be more than one large apple)
- 2 ounces vanilla sugar (or substitute caster sugar)
- 2 ounces plain flour
- 2 ounces butter
Adapted from irishcentral.com
Preheat the oven to 360°F, grease and line a 8-inch cake tin with a removable base. With an electric hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale.
Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing until they are incorporated.
In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until you have a thick cake batter.
Stir in the apple slices and pour the batter into the cake tin.
The batter will be thick, so use a spatula to spread across the base of the tin.
Using a hand blender with a food processor attachment, blend the ingredients for the crumble topping until you get left with rough crumbs. You can also do this by hand in a bowl using your fingertips to combine the ingredients together.
Sprinkle the crumble topping on top of the batter.
Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
You'll also love
- Gooey Butter Cookies 4.4/5 (28 Votes)
- Cranberry Orange Quick Bread 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Blueberry Cheese Coffeecake 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- 3D Chocolate Cheesecake 4.3/5 (35 Votes)
- Pineapple Coconut Oil Banana Bread 4.4/5 (33 Votes)
- Grilled Jerk Shrimp & Pineapple... 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- GERMAN APPLE DAPPLE CAKE 4.1/5 (37 Votes)
- Autumn’s Apple Crumble 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
Review this recipe