Crab Apple Sauce
Tired of Wasting Crab Apples?
- 9 Cups Crab Apple Pieces (skin left on, blossom ends and cores removed)
- 3 Cups Water
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1 -½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 -½ Tablespoon Lemon Juice
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 90mins
Bring crab apples and water to a boil. Cook until apples soften then coarsely mash with a potato masher. Add sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Cook another 10 minutes on medium-high heat. Use an immersion blender to puree into a sauce. Continue cooking until desired consistency reached (if not thick enough for your tastes, add another cup or two of diced crab apple).
Ladle hot sauce into hot jars leaving 1/2″ headspace. Remove any air bubbles, wipe lids of jars. Center hot lids onto jars. Apply screwbands until fingertip tight. Place jars in a water bath canner ensuring that the water level is at least two inches above jar tops. Process jars for 20 minutes (Calgary altitude). Remove jars and set aside to cool.
Makes 9 half pint jars.
**Canning instructions here are not fully detailed. If not an experienced canner, refer to general canning safety rules regarding processing times, etc.
You'll also love
- Zucchini 'n Hamburger Casserole 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Eggplant with Garlic & Vinegar -... 3.8/5 (8 Votes)
- The Grape Leaf's Chicken Sumac 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Italian Lemon Cream Cake 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Michael Symon's Grilled Salmon and... 4.7/5 (11 Votes)
- Shrimp Alexander, Morton's of... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Mardi Gras Shrimp 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Salmon Topped with Crab 3.8/5 (29 Votes)