Sweet Potato Burrito Smothered in Avocado Salsa Verde
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked hot paprika (or chipotle powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- sea salt and black pepper
- 4 to 6 whole wheat tortillas
- 2 roasted red peppers (I used jarred)
- 2 cups cooked black beans or 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 + cup shredded Jack cheese
- SALSA VERDE
- 2 ripe avocados from Mexico
- 1 cup mild salsa verde, jarred
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons fresh jalapeño, deseeded and roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves
- up to 2 tablespoons water, to thin as necessary
- sea salt, to taste (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- finely chopped jalapeño (optional)
- sour cream
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Scrub and peel the sweet potatoes.
Chop them into large, bite-sized chunks, about 1 to 1 1/2-inches wide/long and 1/2-inch deep.
Toss the sweet potatoes with the olive oil, cumin, smoked hot paprika, cayenne pepper and salt and pepper.
Make sure they are lightly coated in oil on all sides.
Pour the sweet potatoes onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Arrange the sweet potatoes evenly in a single layer. Do not overcrowd. Bake for about 45 minutes, flipping the sweet potato chunks halfway, until they are golden and caramelized around the edges.
Make the avocado sauce: in a food processor or a good blender, combine the avocado flesh, salsa verde, garlic, jalapeño (skip this if your salsa is spicy) and lime juice. Blend.
Add the cilantro and blend again.
Add water to thin out the sauce if desired; the sauce should glop easily off a spoon.
Taste and blend in some sea salt or add another squeeze of lime if necessary.
Make sure the oven is still on at 450 degrees Fahrenheit.* Place your tortillas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
In the middle of each tortilla, put down a couple strips of roasted red pepper, then pour 1/3 cup black beans down the center and top it all with 1/3 cup roasted sweet potato chunks.
Sprinkle 1/4 cup or more of jack cheese on top.
Gently roll the burrito over. Repeat with remaining burritos.
Bake your burritos for about 5 minutes on the middle rack, until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are lightly crisp.
Carefully transfer each burrito to a plate. Smother it in avocado sauce, sprinkle with ample romaine lettuce, some chopped red onion, jalapeño if you’d like and a dollop of sour cream.
You'll also love
- Pork Chops with Mango Chutney 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Baked Cinnamon Apple Chimichangas 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Layered Casserole with Beef,... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Beet Jelly 4/5 (1 Votes)
- PC Deep Covered Baker Garlic... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Ahi Tuna & Crab Tower with Avocado... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Casserole (Weight... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Roasted Butternut Squash-Sweet... 4/5 (1 Votes)