Ina Garten's Lemon Loaf Cake
A delicious, tangy, easy lemon loaf cake to serve during the warmer times of year, spring through summer. Be careful not to over bake!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt or sour cream
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest or 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
Grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/4 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan (I use Wilton’s Cake Release). Line the bottom with parchment paper and butter and flour the entire pan.
Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl. In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, 1 cup of the sugar, eggs, lemon zest or extract, and vanilla. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet, whisking to combine (I did this in 2-3 additions). Use a rubber spatula to fold the vegetable oil into the batter until it’s fully incorporated. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester stuck in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
While the cake is baking, combine the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it and placing it on a baking rack over a sheet pan. Use a cake tester, wooden skewer, or toothpick to carefully pierce holes throughout the cake (I used a toothpick so the holes wouldn’t be too obvious, but a skewer might have made deeper holes in the cake, allowing more syrup to get through). While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool completely.
In a small bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice, whisking to form a smooth glaze. Pour over the cake. Slice and serve with fresh berries, whipped cream, or ice cream.
You'll also love
- Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms 4.4/5 (61 Votes)
- Grapefruit White Wine Spritzer 4.5/5 (55 Votes)
- 2-Ingredient Lemon Bars 4.3/5 (76 Votes)
- Healthy Lemony Yogurt Loaf Cake 4.7/5 (14 Votes)
- Tangerine Loaf Cake 4.4/5 (31 Votes)
Review this recipe