Sweet Potato Apple Pie
Per Serving:230 calories (60 from fat), 7g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 60mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (6g dietary fiber, 18g sugar), 5g protein
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 pound sweet potatoes (about 2 medium)
- 1 (9- to 9 1/2-inch) unbaked pie shell
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into thin slices
Adapted from wholefoodsmarket.com
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prick sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake about 1 hour or until very tender. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
Line pie shell with parchment paper or foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake on the lower rack of the oven about 15 minutes or until just starting to set. Remove the weights and continue to bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
Meanwhile, peel sweet potatoes and transfer flesh to the bowl of a food processor. Discard skins. Process until potatoes are puréed. Transfer 1 1/2 cups purée to a large bowl (you may have a litte extra). Add milk, sugar, eggs, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt, and whisk until combined and smooth.
Layer apple slices in concentric circles in the bottom of cooled crust. Pour sweet potato filling into crust over apples (you may have extra filling depending on the depth of the crust). Bake about 50 minutes or until just set in center of pie. Let cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Serve or chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
You'll also love
- Slow-Cooker VELVEETA® Macaroni... 3.8/5 (163 Votes)
- Amish egg noodles 4.3/5 (28 Votes)
- Eggplant Gratin with Herbs and... 4.3/5 (28 Votes)
- Chocolate-Banana Pudding Trifle 4.2/5 (34 Votes)
- Glazed Ham and Pineapple Kebabs 4.3/5 (28 Votes)
- Red Cabbage, Bavarian Style 4.3/5 (28 Votes)
- Potatoes with Onions & Beef Broth 3.9/5 (52 Votes)
- Shepherd's Pie Potato Skins 4.1/5 (25 Votes)