Red Cabbage, Bavarian Style
This traditional German dish, red cabbage, is sweet and sour and easy to make! Along with some bratwurst, this makes a delicious dinner.
- 1 medium sized head red cabbage, cored and sliced thin
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled cored and grated
- 1 cup unsweetened apple pure juice (not concentrate)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- Kosher or sea salt & pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- Olive oil
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from afeastfortheeyes.net
Cut red cabbage into quarters and cut out the core and slice thin.
Peel onion, cut in half and slice thin.
In a dutch oven, add about 1 generous turn of the pan of oil and heat.
Cook onions 2 to 3 minutes and add the red cabbage. Braise the cabbage until just tender 3 to 5 minutes. Season with kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste.
Add ground cloves, allspice and nutmeg. Add caraway seed, if desired.
Add the brown sugar, apples, apple juice and vinegar.
Cover and simmer until the cabbage is cooked and tender-- do not boil or overcook.
Cooking time is about 30 to 45 minutes.
Remove bay leaf and serve with a slotted spoon.
This works well in a slow cooker.