Eggplant Gratin with Herbs and Creme Fraiche
When winter gets nearer and the nights are getting colder and longer, what better way to warm up than with this delicious Eggplant Gratin with Herbs and Creme Fraiche.
- 2 medium to large eggplant, sliced 1/2″ thick
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 quart simple tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons chives, minced
- 3 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 12 ounces creme fraiche or heavy cream
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
Preheat oven to 375.
Season eggplant slices with salt and pepper. Brush lightly with olive oil.
Heat a large skillet or griddle pan over med-high heat and fry eggplant slices in batches until golden on both sides. Set aside while you prepare the creme fraiche.
Place creme fraiche or cream in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce to about 1 cup, then stir in half of the grated parmesan and all of the chopped herbs. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and set aside.
Oil a 9″ casserole or gratin pan and place eggplant inside in a single layer. Cover with a thin layer of simple tomato sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan. Make two more layers of eggplant and sauce, covering the top with tomato sauce. Ladle over the reduced creme fraiche or cream and sprinkle on a final layer of parmesan cheese.
Bake uncovered until browned and bubbling, about 25-30 minutes. Let rest briefly before serving. Also delicious at room temperature.
You'll also love
- Apple Pie Monkey Bread 4.1/5 (38 Votes)
- Chocolate-Banana Pudding Trifle 4.1/5 (41 Votes)
- Red Cabbage, Bavarian Style 4.1/5 (31 Votes)
- Potatoes with Onions & Beef Broth 3.8/5 (77 Votes)
- Eggplant Parmesan with Italian... 4.1/5 (36 Votes)
Review this recipe