Gouda & Beer Fondue Bread Bowl
A toasted bread bowl is perfect for this beer fondue with a mix of cheeses. Apples and pears are crisp, cool companions to the warm, cheesy fondue.
- 1 1/2 pound round loaf crusty bread
- 8 ounces Gouda cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces Swiss Emmentaler cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle lager beer
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, split
- 2 apples, cut into wedges
- 2 ripe pears, cut into wedges
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Preheat oven to 350°F.
To make the bread bowl, slice off the top 1/4 of the bread with a serrated knife and set aside. Hollow out the loaf by cutting a circle around the inside of the bread leaving a 1-inch border. Pull the soft bread out with your hands, making sure to leave about a 1-inch border at the bottom of the bowl as well. Cube the bread you removed and set it aside for dipping.
Place the bread bowl on a baking sheet and place in the oven until it is heated through and golden on the inside, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the Gouda and Emmentaler cheeses with the cornstarch in a medium bowl. Toss with your fingers until the cheese strands are coated.
Combine the beer and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice in a medium nonreactive saucepan over medium heat until it is steaming but not simmering, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the cheese in large handfuls, stirring with a wooden spoon. Continue cooking and stirring until all the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
Once smooth, stir in the mustard and the remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Season with salt.
Remove the bread bowl from the oven and let it cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
Rub the inside all over with the cut sides of the garlic clove.
Pour the hot fondue into the warm bread bowl.
Serve with apples, pears and reserved bread cubes .
You'll also love
- Piña Colada Monkey Bread 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- No Bake Milk Chocolate Bailey's... 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Five-Cheese Spinach & Artichoke Dip 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- Potato Fish Cakes 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- Hot Onion Dip 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Buffalo Chicken Cheese Ball 4.4/5 (30 Votes)
- Puff Pastry Meatball Marinara Bites 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Cheese Fondue with Weirdly Great... 4.6/5 (15 Votes)