Golden Summer Squash & Corn Soup
Puréed summer squash makes a delicious base for this summery squash and corn soup. Fresh thyme and briny feta cheese give it fabulous flavor.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 2 medium summer squash (about 1-pound), diced
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme or oregano, divided
- 1 (14-ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 1 large ear)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from webmd.com
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add squash and 1 teaspoon herbs and cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash starts to soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add broth and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the squash is soft and mostly translucent, about 5 minutes more. Transfer to a blender and purée until smooth. (Use caution when puréeing hot liquids.)
Return the soup to the pan and stir in corn. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the corn is tender, 3 to 5 minutes more. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice. Serve garnished with the remaining 2 teaspoons herbs and feta.
Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Tip: To remove corn from the cob, stand an uncooked ear of corn on its stem end in a shallow bowl and slice the kernels off with a sharp, thin bladed knife. When making soup, after cutting off the kernels, you can reverse the knife and use the dull side to press down the length of the ear to push out the rest of the corn and its milk.
You'll also love
- Spaghetti Sauce for Water Bath... 4/5 (30 Votes)
- Pimento Macaroni Salad 4.2/5 (21 Votes)
- Sweet Freezer Corn 4.3/5 (21 Votes)
- Easy Lemonade Shake Ups 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Swedish Potato Casserole 4.3/5 (21 Votes)
- Roasted Vegetable Lasagna 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Simple Pumpkin Muffins 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Frito Corn Salad 4.4/5 (18 Votes)