Bacon and Egg Rolls with Spicy Tomato Relish
- Spicy Tomato Relish:
- 4 large bacon slices, halved
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 soft bread rolls
- Spicy Tomato Relish, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 green capsicum pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 red capsicum pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 red chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Adapted from cookingchanneltv.com
Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F.
Line a large baking tray with parchment paper. Arrange the bacon on the tray, and bake for 10 minutes or until crisp. Drain the bacon on paper towels.
Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, cream and salt. Melt the butter in a nonstick frying pan over high heat, taking care not to let it burn. Pour the egg mixture into the pan, and cook for 20 seconds, or until the eggs just set around the edge. With a wooden spoon, gently bring the egg from the outside of the pan and fold it over itself to the center. Leave the eggs to cook for another 20 seconds, and then fold them again in the same way. When the eggs are just set, remembering that they will continue cooking as they rest, remove the heat.
Insert a couple bacon pieces into each bread roll and top them with some egg, arugula, and a spoonful of the tomato relish.
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for another 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the capsicums and sweat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until soft. Add the spices, chile and tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add in the sugar, bay leaf and tomatoes. Bring the pan to a low simmer and cook for 40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, before serving.
You'll also love
- Chile Ancho Arroz con Cerdo (Pork... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Ancho-Rubbed Turkey Breast with... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Honey-Roasted Duck Breasts with... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Endive Salad with Toasted Walnuts... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Squash Hummus 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Tuna and Tomato Treats 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Eggs Simmered in Tomato Sauce 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Bacon Dripping Dandelions with... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)