Pumpkin Potato Gnocchi with Brown Butter and Sage
This recipe for Pumpkin Potato Gnocchi with Brown Butter and Sage makes pillowy Italian dumplings with all the flavors of fall.
- 2 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and boiled until tender
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons sage leaves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Water, for boiling
Adapted from 12tomatoes.com
Take peeled and boiled potatoes and put them through a ricer to purée them. Place in a bowl and set aside until completely cool.
Combine puréed potatoes with pumpkin, egg, cheese, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt and pepper, and mix well. Bit by bit, add in flour until you’ve formed a sticky dough.
Divide dough up into 4-6 balls and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll each section into a long, 1/2-inch thick rope. Begin cutting ropes into 1/2-inch pieces. Dust pieces with flour so they don’t stick together and press the tines of a fork into the pieces to give gnocchi the traditional indentation.
Once you’ve finished forming your gnocchi, cook them in salted, boiling water for 2-4 minutes. Once they start floating, they’re finished. Extract gnocchi from water using a slotted spoon.
Place a large pan over high heat. Once hot, add in butter and wait for it to caramelize around the edges. Once it begins to brown (2-4 minutes), swirl the butter around and add in minced sage, salt and pepper. Cook for 20-30 seconds.
You'll also love
- Grilled Asian Ginger Pork Chops 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Strawberry Balsamic Sorbet 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Zucchini-Pineapple Quick Bread... 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Blueberry, Beet, and Basil Summer... 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Quick Bowtie Pasta with Tomato and... 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Zucchini Salad Pita Pockets 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Pumpkin Cranberry Nut Bread 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Golden Macaroni & Cheese 4.4/5 (8 Votes)