Smoky Turkey Gravy
This wonderfully rich gravy is taken up a notch with smoky Spanish paprika and an aromatic guajillo chile.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 turkey wings
- 1 turkey neck (optional)
- 1 pound chicken wings
- 1 smoked turkey leg
- 2 smoked turkey wings
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 head garlic, halved
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 dried guajillo chile (optional)
- 2 quarts low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pimentón de la Vera (sweet smoked Spanish paprika)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 105mins
In a large pot, heat the oil. Add the turkey wings, turkey neck (if using) and chicken wings and cook over moderately high heat until browned all over, 7 to 8 minutes; transfer to a baking sheet. Add the smoked turkey leg and wings to the pot and cook, turning, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes; transfer to the baking sheet.
Add the onion, carrots, garlic, peppercorns and chile (if using) to the pot and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the vegetables are golden, 5 minutes. Return all of the turkey and chicken to the pot along with any accumulated juices. Stir in the broth and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover partially and simmer until the stock is smoky and reduced to 5 cups, 1 hour. Strain the stock into a large bowl or measuring cup and discard the solids.
In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook over moderate heat, whisking, until the roux is tan, 3 minutes. Add the pimentón and cook, whisking, for 1 minute. Whisk in the strained stock and cook over moderate heat, whisking, until thickened, 5 minutes. Season the gravy with salt and pepper and serve warm.
MAKE AHEAD The gravy can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
You'll also love
- Vegan Mushroom Ropa Vieja 4.2/5 (14 Votes)
- Pineapple Casserole 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Low Carb Turkey and Swiss BLT... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Pie with Marshmallow... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Stuffed Shells with Pumpkin-Bacon... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Advocare Turkey Chili 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Holiday Deep Fried Ham 3.8/5 (65 Votes)
- Candied Sweet Potatoes 4.4/5 (14 Votes)