Creamy Queso with Chorizo
In defense of Velveeta, it might be lowbrow, but its texture is supreme.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 ounces fresh chorizo, casings removed
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 8 ounce Velveeta cheese, cut into cubes
- 8 ounce Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 8 ounce sharp cheddar, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 3/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 2 ounce crumbled Cotija cheese or queso fresco
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chorizo and cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until browned and crisp, 8–10 minutes; set aside.
Heat half-and-half and Velveeta in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until Velveeta is melted, 6–8 minutes. Add Monterey Jack and cheddar; cook, stirring, until mixture is smooth. Mix in chipotle chiles, salt, and both chile powders.
Transfer queso to a warm dish and top with Cotija cheese and reserved chorizo.
Queso (without toppings) can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.
Calories (kcal) 650 Fat (g) 56 Saturated Fat (g) 32 Cholesterol (mg) 180 Carbohydrates (g) 8 Dietary Fiber (g) 1 Total Sugars (g) 3 Protein (g) 29 Sodium (mg) 1650
You'll also love
- Snickers Bar Rice Krispie Treats 4.6/5 (22 Votes)
- Homemade Cherry Pie Filling = The... 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Lemon Monkey Bread 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Ducky Bath Baby Shower Punch 4.3/5 (47 Votes)
- Frozen Peach Bellini 4.2/5 (56 Votes)
- Macaroni and Beef with Cheese 4.3/5 (46 Votes)
- Mandarin Orange Cake 4.3/5 (46 Votes)
- Warm Artichoke & Bacon Dip 4.6/5 (25 Votes)