Warm Mushroom and Sweet Corn Salad with Thyme & Basil Vinaigrette
Savour the last of the sweet corn and tomatoes from the garden or market in this warm salad with woodsy mushrooms, fresh herbs and a tangy vinaigrette. This recipe makes small portions—an appropriate start to a multi-course meal. If you want larger portions, double the recipe or use this recipe to serve 4 to 6.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dry mustard or Dijon mustard
- Pinch of granulated sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 oz (250 g) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) cooked corn kernels
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh basil
- 1 large head leaf lettuce, torn (or 10 cups/2.5 L baby romaine lettuce)
1 Heat half of the oil in a skillet over low heat. Add garlic and thyme and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant but not brown. Spoon half into a heatproof bowl. Set skillet with remaining garlic mixture aside.
2 Add remaining oil, vinegar, mustard and sugar to garlic mixture in bowl and whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
3 Just before serving, return skillet to medium- high heat and heat until sizzling. Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until liquid is released and mushrooms start to brown. Add corn and sauté for 2 minutes or until hot and golden brown. Stir in tomatoes and remove from heat.
4 Whisk basil into vinaigrette and toss half with lettuce in a large bowl. Arrange lettuce on serving plates, top with warm vegetables and drizzle with remaining vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper.