Crockpot beef heart stuffed with bacon, mushrooms and onions.
Poor Man's Filet Mignon. Don't let the beef heart fool you...this is a wonderful piece of meat! You can use a deer heart instead of a beef heart if you have one available.
- 1 grass fed beef heart (you can use deer heart)
- garlic (as much as you like)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2 cups beef broth + 1/3 c.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 to 10 slices of bacon (thick cut if you can)
- 8 oz. of fresh mushrooms (please don't use canned mushrooms. fresh is so much better)
- olive oil
Adapted from thepaleodrummer.com
Cook the bacon. Remove from pan and rough chop.
Healthy saute the mushrooms, garlic and onions in a frying pan with 1/3 c. beef broth. Add bacon to the mix when veggies are cooked.
Clean the heart by trimming off most of the fat and any obvious arteries from the outside. Then stuff all of the frying-pan ingredients into the heart cavity. Really stuff it full and then use toothpicks -- the longer the better -- to hold it together. You can also using cooking twine.
Put the stuffed heart in the crock pot along with the broth and olive oil and some more garlic.
Cook for 11-12 hours on low. Don't skimp on the cooking time, or else you risk ending up with tough rubbery meat. Mine turned out pretty fantastic.
The heart sometimes falls apart because it is so juicy and tender.
You'll also love
- Grilled Pineapple Pork Sandwiches 4.2/5 (15 Votes)
- Saucy Stuffed Zucchini 4.2/5 (15 Votes)
- Zucchini Chips 4.2/5 (15 Votes)
- Grilled Glazed Boneless, Skinless... 4.2/5 (16 Votes)
- Bacon Fat Tortillas 4.2/5 (15 Votes)
- Shredded Korean Beef Tacos - Slow... 4.2/5 (16 Votes)
- Slow-Roasted Beef Tenderloin 4.2/5 (15 Votes)
- Onion Corn Bread Shortcake 4.2/5 (15 Votes)