Tequila & Lime Turkey Chili
Tequila, fresh squeezed lime, honey and soy sauce yield a flavorful turkey chili. Adobo chiles and a little extra tequila add a little kick.
- 1 slice high-quality white sandwich bread, torn into quarters
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, minced or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup tequila, divided, plus extra as needed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus extra as needed
- Avocado, diced, optional
- Sour cream, optional
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 255mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Mash bread and milk into paste in large bowl using fork. Mix in ground turkey, salt and pepper, using hands.
Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, until shimmering. Add onions, chili powder, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook until vegetables are softened and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
Stir in turkey mixture and cook, breaking up any large pieces with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
Stir in tomato sauce, scraping up any browned bits; transfer to slow cooker.
Stir diced tomatoes with juice, beans, 3 tablespoons tequila, soy sauce, honey, and chipotles into the slow cooker. Cover and cook until turkey is tender, 4 to 6 hours, on Low.
Let chili settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using a large spoon.
Stir in remaining tablespoon tequila, lime zest, and lime juice.
Season with salt, pepper, tequila and lime juice to taste and serve.
Optional: garnish with diced avocado and sour cream.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup 4.5/5 (200 Votes)
- Leftover Steak & Sausage Stew 4/5 (21 Votes)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Truffles 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Balsamic Honey and Mustard Pork... 4.2/5 (16 Votes)
- FRESH PEACH CAKE 4.2/5 (16 Votes)
- Green Beans Caesar 4.2/5 (16 Votes)
- Peach Pineapple Crumble 3.9/5 (61 Votes)
- Baked Haddock with Lime Butter 4.1/5 (28 Votes)