Sweet Potato Dumplings
Frozen sweet potato (yam) patties are rolled up in refrigerated crescent roll dough and baked in a sweet, buttery sauce.
- 2 tubes (cans) refrigerated crescent rolls (I used Pillsbury brand)
- 8 frozen sweet potato (yam) patties, partially thawed
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- good pinch of salt
- 1 cup Mountain Dew soda
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, optional (I used ReaLemon)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cinnamon for sprinkling the tops
- (NOTE: You can omit the Mountain Dew and increase the amount of water to 2 cups.)
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 45mins
Preheat oven to 350°F. You will need two 11x7 (or equivalent) baking dishes.
In a saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk in the Mountain Dew, water, and lemon juice. Cut the butter in pieces (so it melts quicker) and add to the pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; then boil for 3 to 4 minutes, reducing heat if necessary. Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla. Set aside to cool a bit.
On a piece of foil on the counter, unroll the crescents and with a sharp knife cut along the triangle perforations.
Cut each of the sweet potato patties in half, you will have 16 pieces.
Place one patty half on the wide end of each crescent triangle. Roll up, tucking in the ends. (It's okay if the patties aren't completely covered.) Place 8 of them, with pointy ends of rolls facing down, in each of the baking dishes.
Pour half the sauce over each pan of dumplings. Sprinkle tops lightly with cinnamon.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until nicely browned. Remove from oven and spoon the thickened sauce over the dumplings.
Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or room temperature with whipped cream or topping.
You'll also love
- Baked Haddock with Lime Butter 4.2/5 (31 Votes)
- Glazed Lemon Zucchini Bread 4.2/5 (15 Votes)
- French Onion Chicken Noodle... 4.2/5 (18 Votes)
- Sesame Beef with Broccoli in an... 4.1/5 (19 Votes)
- Copycat Chipotle Corn Salsa 4.2/5 (15 Votes)
- Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes 4.2/5 (16 Votes)
- Fresh Corn & Zucchini Cakes 4.2/5 (15 Votes)
- Twice Baked Potatoes (Trisha... 4/5 (12 Votes)