Braised Beef Brisket (Zinfandel) with Onions and Potatoes
Calories:342 (25% from fat)
Fat:9.5g (sat 3.1g,mono 4.6g,poly 0.5g)
- 2 cups zinfandel or other fruity dry red wine
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (2 1/2-pound) beef brisket, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray
- 8 cups sliced Walla Walla or other sweet onion (about 4 medium)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into (1/2-inch-thick) slices
- 2 celery stalks, cut into (1/2-inch-thick) slices
- 1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 325°.
Combine first 3 ingredients, stirring with a whisk.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle beef with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add beef to pan; cook for 8 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove beef from pan; cover and set aside.
Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, onion, sugar, and 1 teaspoon thyme to pan. Cook 20 minutes or until onions are tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, carrots, and celery; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place beef on top of onion mixture; pour wine mixture over beef. Cover and place in oven.
Bake at 325° for 1 3/4 hours.
While beef mixture cooks, place potatoes in a large bowl. Add 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon thyme, oil, oregano, and red pepper; toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.
Remove beef from oven; turn beef over. Place potatoes on lower rack in oven. Cover beef; return to oven. Bake potatoes and beef at 325° for 45 minutes or until beef is tender. Remove beef from oven; cover and keep warm. Increase oven temperature to 425°. Place potatoes on middle rack in oven; bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until crisp and edges are browned.
Remove beef from pan; cut across the grain into thin slices. Serve with onion mixture and potatoes. Sprinkle with parsley
You'll also love
- Barbecue Shrimp 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Twice Baked Potatoes (makeover) 0/5 (0 Votes)
- French Onion Soup - Beef Au Gratin 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Wild Rice with Sausage and... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Angel's Old Fashioned Beef Stew 0/5 (0 Votes)
- BEEF BRISKET CRANBERRY SAUCE GRAVY 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Roasted Vidalia Onions with... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- beef brisket, wild mushroom 0/5 (0 Votes)