Salmon With Mushroom Orzo And Red Wine Sauce
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced thin
- 2 cups red wine preferably dry
- 2 cups beef broth
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound orzo
- 6 shallots minced fine
- 1 pound clamshell mushrooms
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 6 salmon filets - (5 oz ea) skinned
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter cut small pieces
Heat 2 of the 7 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for about 4 or 5 minutes. Add the wine, beef broth, thyme, and 1 bay leaf, then boil until the liquid is reduced to one cup. This should take about 35 minutes. Strain the sauce into a small saucepan. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and place the orzo on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast in the oven until it's a beautiful golden brown. This should take about 20 minutes.
In another heavy saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and saute for about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute until golden, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the orzo, chicken broth, and 1 bay leaf, then bring to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, until the orzo is tender and the broth is absorbed. Stir often. This should take about 20 minutes. Add the cream and tarragon and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the salmon with salt and pepper, add to the skillet, and saute just until cooked through. This should take no more than about 3 minutes per side. Do not dry out the fish by overcooking.
Bring the sauce to a simmer. Add the butter and whisk until melted. Season with pepper. Spoon the orzo onto plates, top with the salmon, and serve with the sauce.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Risotto With Gorgonzola Cheese And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Puffballs With Scallops And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta With Morels And Asparagus 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta With Chanterelles 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Macaroni And Mushroom Gratin 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fettuccini Alfredo With Morels 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Ling Cod With Matsutakes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Salmon Salad With Wild... 0/5 (0 Votes)