Stuffed Morel Mushrooms
- 1 cup lump crabmeat
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (do not even consider using a fake substitute)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons finely-grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground white pepper to taste
- 12 large morel mushrooms - (to 16) (choose excellent "specimens")
- 8 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Use a mixing bowl to combine the crab, mayonnaise, cream, fresh chives, egg yolk, Parmesan, and bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper and combine very thoroughly. Stuff each morel with the crabmeat filling.
Heat an oven-proof skillet or saute pan and melt four tablespoons of the butter. Transfer the stuffed morels to the skillet and saute quickly, turning on all sides to brown. Add the remaining butter and garlic to the skillet and continue cooking for another minute.
Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for about eight minutes, or until the mushrooms and the filling are heated through. The morels should be golden brown. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the fresh parsley. Serve immediately with garlic butter drizzled over the top.
This recipe yields 4 servings.