Chinese Crab Salad
- 1/2 cup dried wood ear mushrooms*
- 1 medium cucumber peeled
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh cooked crab meat shredded
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or Chinese red vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- Cilantro sprigs for garnish
* Alternate Mushrooms: Enoki
Soak the wood ears in hot water to cover until soft, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and slice.
Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise. Slice very thin diagonally. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Allow to stand for 5 minutes; drain well. Squeeze to remove the excess moisture. Place the cucumber slices in a circle on a plate. Put the sliced wood ears in the center. Arrange the crab meat neatly on top of the mushrooms.
Mix the dressing ingredients together and drizzle the dressing over the salad. Garnish with cilantro.
This recipe yields 4 first course servings.