Savory Leek And Apple Wood Bacon Tart
- FLAKY BUTTER CRUST:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter chilled, and cut into pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons ice water or more as needed
- TART FILLING:
- 4 slices apple wood-smoked bacon diced (or other aromatic, thick cut bacon)
- 8 leeks white portions only
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere
Flaky Butter Crust: To make with a food processor, combine the flour, butter and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse for 10 seconds and add the ice water. Pulse quickly 5 or 6 more times until the dough comes together. Remove the dough and place on a floured surface. Using your hands, work the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.
To make by hand, combine the flour and butter in a medium bowl, and mix with a pastry blender or your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time and mix until the dough comes together and is no longer dry, being careful not to over mix. Form into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.
Roll out the dough to an 11-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom and trim the edges. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Tart Filling: Cut the leeks in half lengthwise and then crosswise into 1/4-inch thick half circles. Place in a bowl and rinse well in 2 changes of water. Drain.
Line the pastry with parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until the crust is set, about 12 minutes. Remove the paper and weights and bake until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp and the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Add butter to the fat remaining in the pan. When foamy, add the drained leeks, garlic, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and stir well to combine. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the leeks are very soft but not browned, 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain in a fine mesh strainer.
Combine the eggs and the cream in a medium bowl and whisk well. Add the prosciutto, Parmesan, and Gruyere, and whisk well. Add the leeks and whisk to combine. Pour into the chilled tart shell and bake until risen and golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes.
Remove from the oven and cool for at least 20 minutes on a wire rack before serving.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
You'll also love
- Crock Pot Sour Cream & Bacon... 4.4/5 (327 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Bacon & Corn Chowder 4.5/5 (294 Votes)
- Pan-Fried Quail, Country Milk... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sauteed Soft-Shell Crabs With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Veal Parmesan 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chef Neals Baby Back Ribs With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Holiday Turkey With Apple-Pear... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Leek And Camembert Tart 0/5 (0 Votes)