Seafood: Shellfish and Potatoes a la Mariniere
White wine and briny shellfish juices marry in the pot, then are puréed with parsley to create a light sauce so flavorful, it needs only a touch of butter.
- 1 1/4 pounds small new or baby Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt plus more
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, diced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 pound mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- 1 pound cockles or small Manila clams, scrubbed
- 6-8 razor clams, scrubbed (optional)
- 1 cup (packed) flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Place potatoes in a medium saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2". Add 1 Tbsp. salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; set aside.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add fennel, shallots, and garlic and cook, stirring often, until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat; add wine. Return pot to heat; increase heat to high, add littleneck clams, cover, and cook for 1 minute. Add mussels, cockles, razor clams (if using), and potatoes. Cover; cook until all shellfish have opened (discard any that do not open), 4–5 minutes longer.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer shellfish and potatoes to a warm bowl and transfer any remaining vegetables from pot to a blender. Pour liquid from pot into blender, leaving any sediment behind. Add 1 cup parsley and butter to blender; purée on high until sauce is bright green and thickened, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over shellfish; stir to coat. Garnish with whole parsley leaves.
You'll also love
- Apple Cinnamon Ice Cream 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Prime Rib with Texas Rub! 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Fried Squash 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp Pasta 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Mini Crab and Cream Cheese Flautas 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Roasted Side Of Salmon With... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Oregon Salmon Patties 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Vegan Sweet Potato, Coconut Milk,... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)