Paleo Chicken Kiev
A yummy Chicken Kiev recipe adapted to be Paleo compliant. Directions also include a variation with cheese that is not strictly Paleo. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, snipped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 a 1/4 pound stick butter, chilled
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 4 chicken breast halves, skinless, boneless
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (macadamia nut, or coconut)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 90mins
In a small bowl combine green onion, parsley, and garlic; set aside.
Cut chilled butter into four 2-1/2x1/2-inch sticks. In a shallow bowl stir together egg and water. Place almond flour in another shallow bowl. Set aside.
Place a chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet pound chicken lightly into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with one-fourth of the green onion mixture. Place a butter piece in center of chicken piece. Fold in sides; roll up. Repeat with remaining chicken.
Dip chicken rolls in egg mixture; coat with almond flour. Dip in egg mixture again; coat with with additional almond flour. (Coat ends well to seal in the butter.) Place coated chicken in 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Cover and chill for 1 to 24 hours.
In a large skillet melt the 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat; add oil. Add chilled chicken rolls. Cook about 5 minutes or until golden brown, turning to brown all sides. Place rolls in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Bake, uncovered, in a 400 degree F oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F). Spoon any drippings over rolls.
NOTE: For those who want MOSTLY paleo but want to include cheese, prepare as directed EXCEPT substitute 2 1/2x1/2-inch sticks of caraway, blue, Gruyere, or cheddar cheese for the butter. If using caraway or blue cheese, omit the parsley. If using Gruyere cheese, substitute 2 teaspoons snipped fresh tarragon for the parsley. If using cheddar cheese, substitute 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme for the parsley.
You'll also love
- Maple Bacon Crack 3.9/5 (132 Votes)
- Pork Tenderloin 4.6/5 (34 Votes)
- Johnny Jalapeno's Chicken Tortilla... 4.6/5 (34 Votes)
- Chicken & Dumplings Pot Pie 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Paleo Broccoli Salad 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Whole30 Homemade Ranch Mix 4.7/5 (11 Votes)
- Gluten Free Sesame Chicken with... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)