Mario Batali's Spaghetti with Green Tomatoes
This bright green spaghetti dish gets a huge amount of color and flavor from a fresh herb pesto, which complements fresh green tomatoes.
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup arugula, washed and spun dry
- 5 green tomatoes, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus extra for garnish
Adapted from abc.go.com
Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot, and add 2 tablespoons salt.
Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the mint, basil, parsley, arugula, 1 clove of garlic, Parmigiano and olive oil and pulse to form a chunky purée. Season aggressively with salt and pepper, and set aside.
In a sauté pan add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add chopped tomatoes and garlic, cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add full ladle of pesto into pan.
Cook the pasta in the boiling water until just al dente. Drain the pasta and add to pan with tomatoes and pesto. Add some of the pasta water and toss to coat. Top with sprinkle with the Parmigiano, and serve immediately.