Ricotta Cheese Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 pound ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line at least 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until well blended. Increase the speed to high and beat until light and fluffy
4. Return the speed to medium and beat in the eggs, ricotta, lemon and orange zest and vanilla extract
5. Remove the bowl from the mixer and using a wooden spoon, beat the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture until a firm dough forms
6. Drop the dough by the teaspoonful onto the prepared cookie sheets, leaving about 1/2 inch between cookies. Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the oven and place on wire racks.
7. Place the confectioner's sugar in a small bowl. Beat in the orange juice to make a really thickened icing. Using a fork, drizzle the icing over the cookies while they are still warm.
8. Continue baking and finishing the cookies until all of the dough is used. Store tightly covered for up to 3 days.