Cornmeal Pancakes With Cranberry Compote
- CRANBERRY COMPOTE:
- 1 bag cranberries - (12 oz) picked over, rinsed
- 1 large apple, such as mutsu or Golden Delicious peeled, halved, cored, and cut into 1/8" slices
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
In a heavy medium nonreactive saucepan, combine all the ingredients for the compote and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes, or until the cranberries pop and the apple slices soften. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, beat the buttermilk, water, oil, and egg with a fork until blended. Add to the cornmeal mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until a smooth batter forms.
Lightly oil a griddle and heat over medium heat. For each pancake, pour a scant 1/4 cup of the batter onto the griddle. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until nicely browned on the bottom. Turn the pancakes and cook for about 2 minutes longer, or until browned on the second side. Transfer the pancakes to an ovenproof platter and keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining pancakes.
To serve, transfer the cranberry compote to a bowl and serve alongside the pancakes.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Chicken Salad With Grapes And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Broccoli And Goat Cheese Quiche 3/5 (1 Votes)
- Watermelon Nectar 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Carrots With Cognac 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cornish Hens With Fresh Figs 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Knott's Berry Farm's Meatloaf 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Knott's Berry Farm's Fried Chicken 3.8/5 (4 Votes)
- El Torito's Sweet Corn Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)