Strawberry Shortcake Cake
Another delicious Strawberry Shortcake Cake recipe, using a spongecake recipe, fresh strawberries and a cream cheese frosting. Need I say more to convince anyone how good this is?
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound strawberries, plus more to garnish, optional
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Preheat oven to 340°F.
Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and corn starch. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream 9 tablespoons butter with the sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, mixing well each time.
Add sour cream and vanilla and mix well until combined.
Pour into greased and floured 8-inch cake pan.
Bake at 350°F for about 45 minutes, or until no longer jiggly.
NOTE: The cake does bake to a very dark golden brown.
Remove from cake pan as soon as you pull it out of the oven, and place on a cooling rack. Allow it to cool completely.
Stem strawberries and slice them in half from bottom to top. Place into a bowl and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons sugar. Stir together and let sit for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, mash the strawberries in two batches. Sprinkle each half with 1 tablespoon sugar and allow to sit for another 30 minutes.
Combine cream cheese, 2 sticks butter, sifted powdered sugar, vanilla and a dash of salt in a mixing bowl. Mix until light and fluffy.
Slice cake in half through the middle. Spread strawberries evenly over each half (cut side up), pouring on all the juices. Place the cake halves into the freezer for five minutes, just to make icing easier.
Remove from freezer. Use a little less than 1/3 of the icing to spread over the top of the strawberries on the bottom layer. Place the second layer on top. Add half of the remaining icing to the top, spreading evenly, then spread the remaining 1/3 cup around the sides.
Leave plain or garnish with strawberry haves. IMPORTANT: Cake is best when served slightly cool. The butter content in the icing will cause it to soften at room temperature. For best results, store in the fridge.
You'll also love
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough... 4.5/5 (59 Votes)
- Basil Tomato Pork Chops 4.6/5 (52 Votes)
- Spicy Citrus Shrimp Fajitas 4.6/5 (52 Votes)
- Key Lime Cheesecake Dessert Bars 4.5/5 (53 Votes)
- Meyer Lemon Yogurt Bundt Cake 4.3/5 (80 Votes)
- Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting 4.6/5 (51 Votes)
- Strawberry and Mint Water 4.4/5 (61 Votes)
- Vanilla Cake with Strawberry Cream... 4.4/5 (60 Votes)