Vanilla Cake with Strawberry Cream Frosting
- 2 8-0z packages of cream cheese, room temperature (can use low fat)
- 1 cup (2 sticks)unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 3/4 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups cake flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 7 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream (can use low fat)
- 6 tbsp plus 1/3 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 2 1/4 lbs strawberries, hulled, sliced (about 6 cups) divided
Adapted from pinterest.com
Make the Frosting
1) Put a small/medium bowl in the freezer to chill.
In a separate large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in sugar, then jam. Remove that chilled bowl from the freezer and beat cream in that chilled bowl until peaks form. Fold whipped cream into frosting. Cover, chill for a couple of hours until it's firm enough to spread. (If you are in a hurry, you could put the frosting in the freezer to chill quickly.)
Make the Cake
2)Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter and flour two 9-inch cake pans with 2-inch high sides.(Can use 10 inch springform pans). In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egss, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Add sour cream, and beat for 30 seconds. Add flour mixture in three additions, beating to blend after each addition. Divide batter into prepared pans.
3) Bake cake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 50 - 60 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Run a sharp knife around the edges of the pans, then turn cakes out onto a rack to cool completely. You can put the two cake layers in the freezer for about an hour to make the cake assembly easier.
4) Using a serrated knife, divide each layer in half horizontally. Place one half, cake side down on a cake plate.
5) Spread 3 tbsp of strawberry jam over the cake, then spread 3/4 c of the frosting over the jam. Arrange 3/4 c of the sliced strawberries on top of the frosting in a single layer. Repeat two more times with cake layer, jam, frosting, and strawberries.
6) Top with remaining cake layer, cut side down. Spread two cups of frosting over the top and sides of the cake in a thin layer, then frost with remaining frosting. Stir remaining jam to loosen, then spoon teaspoonfuls onto the top and sides of the cake. Use the back of a spoon to swirl jam decoratively into the frosting.
7) Decorate with remaining strawberries.
This recipe makes a very big 4-layer cake that will feed a lot of people.
You'll also love
- Italian Herb Baked Chicken & Pasta 4.4/5 (64 Votes)
- Crockpot Rice and Porkchops 4.4/5 (64 Votes)
- Parmesan Baked Potato Halves 4.4/5 (63 Votes)
- Ina Garten's Lemon Loaf Cake 4.2/5 (82 Votes)
- Lemon Drop Martini Cupcakes 4.3/5 (80 Votes)
- Blueberry Cake Bars 4.4/5 (63 Votes)
- White Chocolate Strawberry Tiramisu 4.4/5 (56 Votes)
- Easy Italian Lemon Pound Cake 3.7/5 (289 Votes)