Italian Plum Upside Down Cake
Tart plums are a great balance to the sweet cake in this delicious upside down cake dessert.
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 3 Â tablespoons (43 grams)Â unsalted butter
- 1/2 cups (128 grams) brown suger, packed
- 4 teaspoons apricot jam (or any jam or preserves desired)
- 6 Italian plums (or any fruit that you choose), pitted and sliced into eighths (you can also skin them, if desired)
- FOR THE CAKE
- 1 1/2 cups (191 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk (188ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5ml)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 113-grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar(134-grams)
- 2 large eggs
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from bakingdom.com
To make the topping: Grease and flour an 8-inch round cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper; set aside.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter and sugar together. Stir in the jam until combined. Simmer the mixture for about 3 minutes, until the sugar is completely dissolved. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan, and allow to cool completely.
Once the sugar mixture is cooled, arrange the sliced plums across the bottom of the pan; set aside while you prepare the cake batter.
To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
In the bowl of a standing mix, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, until combined. Scrape the sides, as needed. Stir in the vanilla.
Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with 2 additions of milk, mixing until just combined between each addition and scraping the bowl as needed. Do not overmix.
Pour the cake batter over the prepared fruit. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow to cool in the pan, on a wire cooling rack, for 30 minutes. Turn onto a serving plate or cake plate and serve warm.
You'll also love
- Orange Creamsicle Yogurt Bites 4.4/5 (27 Votes)
- Baked Ziti - Pioneer Woman 3.6/5 (148 Votes)
- Spicy Ranch Ritz Crackers 4.4/5 (27 Votes)
- Beef Medallions and Mushrooms in... 4.3/5 (28 Votes)
- Muffins: Bluberry, Cranberry,... 4.4/5 (27 Votes)
- Strawberry Tart by Ina Garten 4.4/5 (27 Votes)
- Cinnamon Roll Cheesecake Bars 4.4/5 (35 Votes)
- Key Lime Torte with... 4.2/5 (29 Votes)