Baked Ziti - Pioneer Woman
This recipe make the perfect baked ziti, with amazing flavors for a hearty dinner that can feed the whole family.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 whole large onion, diced
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, with juice
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans tomato sauce or marinara sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 16 ounces ziti or mostaciolli, cooked just shy of al dente
- 1 (15-ounce) package whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 pounds mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 whole egg
- Fresh parsley, minced
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 65mins
Adapted from thepioneerwoman.com
Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and saute for several minutes, or until starting to soften. Add Italian sausage and ground beef and cook until browned. Drain off fat, leaving a bit behind for flavor and moisture.
Add tomatoes, tomato juice, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Stir and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. After that time, remove 3 to 4 cups of the sauce to a different bowl to cool down.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a separate bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, 2 cups of the grated mozzarella, Parmesan, egg, and salt and pepper. Stir together just a couple of times (do not mix completely).
Drain the pasta and rinse under cool water to stop the cooking and cool it down. Pour it into the bowl with the cheese mixture and toss to slightly combine (there should still be large lumps.) Add the cooled meat sauce and toss to combine.
Add half the coated pasta to a large casserole dish or lasagna dish. Spoon half of the remaining sauce over the top, then top with half the remaining mozzarella cheese. Repeat with another layer of the coated pasta, the sauce, and the mozzarella.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbling. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Sprinkle chopped parsley over the pasta just before serving.
You'll also love
- Spicy Ranch Ritz Crackers 4.4/5 (27 Votes)
- Grilled Balsamic Molasses Bacon 4.4/5 (28 Votes)
- Muffins: Bluberry, Cranberry,... 4.4/5 (27 Votes)
- Tomato Bacon & Spinach Quiche 4.4/5 (27 Votes)
- Rigatoni in Blush Sauce with... 4.1/5 (42 Votes)
- Chicken Wings With Angry Sauce 4.3/5 (31 Votes)
- Spinach and Ravioli Lasagna 4.2/5 (45 Votes)
- Greek Garlic Chicken 4.1/5 (44 Votes)