Muffins: Bluberry, Cranberry, Banana, Oatmeal, Poppy Seed, & Cheese
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 recipe Streusel Topping (optional for plain and sweet variations)
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 28mins
Adapted from bhg.com
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups or line with paper bake cups; set aside. In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
In another bowl combine egg, milk, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. If desired, sprinkle Streusel Topping over muffin batter in cups. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden and a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; serve warm.
Makes 12 muffins.
Poppy Seed Muffins:
• Prepare as above, except increase sugar to 1/2 cup and add 1 tablespoon poppy seeds to flour mixture.
• Prepare as above, except stir 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack cheese into nour mixture.
• Per muffin: 155 cal., 7 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 24 mg chol., 158 mg sodium, 19 g carbo., 0 g dietary fiber, 4 g protein.
Daily Values: 2% vit. A, 10% calcium, 5% iron
• Exchanges: 1 Starch, .5 Other Carbo., 1 Fat
• Prepare as above, except fold 3/4 cup fresh or frozen
blueberries and, if desired, 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel into batter.
• Prepare as above, greasing muffin cups (do not use paper bake cups). Reduce milk to 1/2 cup. Stir 3/4 cup mashed banana and 1/2 cup chopped nuts into flour mixture along with the egg mixture.
• Per muffin: 184 cal., 9 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 18 mg chol. 126 mg sodium, 24 g carbo., 1 g dietary fiber. 4 g protein.
• Daily Values: 1% vit. A, 3% vit. C, 6% calcium/6% iron
• Exchanges: 1 Starch, .5 Other Carbo., 1.5 Fat
• Prepare as above, except combine 1 cup coarsely chopped cranberries and 2 tablespoons additional sugar; fold into batter.
• Prepare as above, except reduce flour to 1-1/3 cups and add 3/4 cup rolled oats to flour mixture.
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter
2 chopped pecans or walnuts
In a small bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in chopped pecans or walnuts.
nutrition facts (Muffins)
Servings Per Recipe 12, cal. (kcal) 136, Fat, total (g) 5, chol. (mg) 19, sat. fat (g) 1, carb. (g) 19, Monosaturated fat (g) 2, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2, sugar (g) 6, pro. (g) 3, vit. A (IU) 49, Thiamin (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Folate (pg) 8, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (pg) 0, sodium (mg) 128, Potassium (mg) 45, calcium (mg) 61, iron (mg) 1, Starch () 1, Other Carb () 1, Fat () 1, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
You'll also love
- Tomato Bacon & Spinach Quiche 4.4/5 (27 Votes)
- Garlic Parmesan pull-apart Bread 4.2/5 (30 Votes)
- Strawberry Tart by Ina Garten 4.4/5 (30 Votes)
- Pumpkin-Raisin Biscotti 4.3/5 (29 Votes)
- Christmas Cranberry Salad 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Raw Butternut Squash with... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Wheat Belly Banana Bread 4.7/5 (3 Votes)