Hash Brown and Sausage Casserole with Caramelized Onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pound package ground pork sausage
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 (30-ounce) package frozen country-style hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups shredded white Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (10 3⁄4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1.In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes, or until tender. Increase heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring constantly, until onions are browned and caramel-colored. Remove onions, and set aside.
2.Add sausage and mushrooms to skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sausage is browned and crumbly; drain.
3.Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
4.In a large bowl, combine onion mixture, sausage mixture, hash brown potatoes, 1 cup shredded white Cheddar cheese, soup, sour cream, rosemary, and pepper. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving