Pork & Mushroom Stew with Potato and Apple Mash
This stew can be ready to enjoy in about 40 minutes, because the pork tenderloin is so tender, that it doesn't need a low and slow braise. The sauce is packed with flavor from leeks, carrots, thyme, sherry (or white wine) and some apple cider. A splash of heavy cream gives a silky texture to the sauce, and it's even better with mashed potatoes that has roasted garlic and chunks of apple. This recipe is adapted from Cuisine At Home Magazine.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 lb. pork tenderloin, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces, dried with paper towels, seasoned with salt and black pepper
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 ⁄2 cup sliced leeks or shallots
- 1 ⁄2 cup diced carrot (1 carrot)
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 ⁄4 cup dry sherry or white wine
- 3 ⁄4 cup apple cider or juice
- 3 ⁄4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme (optional)
- Diced Granny Smith apple
- Fresh thyme sprigs
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Heat oil and butter in a sauté pan over medium-high. Add pork and sauté until brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove pork to a plate; set aside.
Sweat mushrooms, leeks, and carrot in same pan over medium heat until softened, 3–4 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute.
Deglaze the pan with sherry, scraping up any bits on bottom of pan, and reduce until evaporated. Stir in cider and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add pork with residual juices and 1 Tbsp. thyme. Simmer stew until thickened, 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
Garnish each serving with diced apple and a sprig of thyme.
For the potatoes:
Cook potatoes (I prefer to use Yukon Gold), and mash. Add half the diced green apple and, for extra flavor, add some roasted garlic. Layer a bowl with potatoes and heap on some of that delicious stew.
Nutrition Information (excluding potatoes):
Per serving: 332 cal; 12g total fat (4g sat); 119mg chol; 133mg sodium; 15g total carbs; 2g fiber; 39g protein
You'll also love
- Cast Iron Tilapia 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Seafood Quiche 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- Strawberry Cake from Scratch:: By... 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Vegetarian Mandarin Orange Lo Mein... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Pork tenderloin 4/5 (53 Votes)
- Pineapple Lush Sugar Free Cake 3.8/5 (57 Votes)
- Simple Brown Gravy 4.2/5 (77 Votes)
- Bisquick Heart Smart®... 4.2/5 (29 Votes)