Crispy Fried Almond Chicken with Gravy
Authentic recipe for Soo Guy Chicken, otherwise known as Crispy Fried Almond Chicken. Serve with a side of fried rice -- and maybe some fortune cookies?
- 50 grams Fry's chicken style strips, or similar, frozen
- 1 tablespoon cornflour, (cornstarch)
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 50 milliliters water
- 25 grams breadcrumbs, I like to use freshly made from stale bread here, or panko.
- 2 tablespoons almonds, chopped
- Extra cornflour to coat
- Shredded lettuce to serve
- Vegetable oil to fry
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoons vegan butter
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 20mins
First toast the chopped almonds in a wok until lightly golden and fragrant. Set aside and give the wok a wipe with a dry towel as you'll be using it to fry later.
In a small saucepan bring the 1 1/2 cups of water for the sauce to the boil. Add the frozen chicken strips and lightly boil with the lid on for 3 minutes.
Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon or a couple of forks and drain on a clean kitchen towel. Do not dump the water! Add the vegan butter and soy sauce to the chicken stock and heat until the butter melts then turn off the heat. In another saucepan mix the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water until smooth then slowly add the chicken soy stock until all is added. Heat and stir until thick and glossy. Check seasoning, turn off heat and set aside.
In a small bowl add the cornflour, baking powder, xanthan gum and whisk. Add the water and vegetable oil and whisk really well until it is smooth and really thick.
Toss the drained chicken strips into some more cornflour, then coat them in the batter then into the breadcrumbs. It's easiest to have one hand for the batter and the other hand for the breadcrumbs here. Keep going until all the strips are coated and place them on a plate ready to fry.
Heat about an inch or two of vegetable oil in the wok you used to toast the almonds until it is very hot. Gently place the breaded chicken into the oil and fry until crisp and golden on both sides. Remove and drain on paper towels. Repeat until all the chicken is fried.
Reheat the gravy and give it a whisk- if it has thickened too much, you can also add a bit more water. Place some shredded lettuce on a plate, top with the fried chicken then spoon over the gravy generously. Sprinkle over the toasted almonds and serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Baked Fried Chicken 4.4/5 (63 Votes)
- Bahamian White Conch Chowder 3.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Longhorn Steakhouse Mac & Cheese 3.8/5 (81 Votes)
- Low Carb Creamy Chicken Soup 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Beer Can Chicken 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Rex's Chicken with Jalapenos 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Crock Pot Chinese Chicken with... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- P.F. Chang's Crispy Honey Chicken 3.8/5 (45 Votes)