Green Tomato Rice
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced, with most of green (6 to 8)
- 4 medium green tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- dash dried leaf thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- dash Tabasco sauce, optional
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese, optional
Adapted from southernfood.about.com
Note: To peel the green tomatoes, drop into boiling water for 3 minutes and then use a vegetable peeler.
1. In a medium saucepan, saute the bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain.
2. In 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings, saute green onion whitess for 1 minute. Add green tomatoes and saute for 1 minute longer. Add garlic and jalapeno pepper; saute for another 30 seconds.
3. Add the chicken broth, rice, thyme, pepper, and Tabasco sauce. Bring to a boil. Stir, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
4. Stir in Parmesan cheese just before serving, if desired. Sprinkle with the cooked bacon and green onions.