Bamia Stew (Lamb and Okra)
Bamia stew with lamb or beef cubes and okra in a tomato sauce base. This recipe for bamia is very simple. You can make it vegetarian by omitting the meat.
- 1 lb stew meat (Lamb or Beef)
- 1 pound frozen okra
- 16 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 oz. canned tomato puree
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 8 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 135mins
Adapted from homemade-recipes.blogspot.com
In a large saucepan, brown meat with olive oil. Add onions and garlic.
Add crushed tomatoes, stirring well with meat, garlic and onion. Add cumin, coriander, salt and pepper, and allspice. Add water and tomato puree. Stir and combine well.
Add okra and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, or until meat is tender and done.
The sauce should thicken as it cooks. If it does not, add 1/2 cup all purpose flour.
Serve bamia with white rice.
You'll also love
- Ground Beef Glop 5/5 (3 Votes)
- BBQ Pulled Pork Bruschetta 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Lemon Blueberry Balsamic... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Bacon Tomato Mini Tarts 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Crispy Potato Sopes (Masa Boats)... 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Slow-Roasted Andalusian-Style Lamb... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Smashed Fried Okra 4/5 (9 Votes)
- Chicken & Okra Gumbo 4.2/5 (15 Votes)