Honey-Pineapple Upside-Down Cake (Cooking Light)
Fresh pineapple slices work well here too.
- Honey Glaze:
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 (15.25-oz.) can pineapple slices in juice, drained
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Bring honey, brown sugar, and butter to a simmer in a pan. Cook 1 minute.
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Pour honey into a buttered 10-inch cast-iron skillet, tilting skillet to spread evenly. Top with pineapple.
2. Beat sugar and butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until fluffy. Stir in vanilla. Whisk together flour and next 4 ingredients. Whisk together buttermilk and eggs. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat just until blended. Spread batter over pineapple.
3. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, shielding with aluminum foil after 45 minutes to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Cool in skillet on a wire rack 10 minutes.
4. Invert cake onto a serving platter. Drizzle with Honey Glaze. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.